A simple and delicious meal, one with a little bit of prep that you can throw in the oven and forget until it's cooked. This one pan Lemon Chicken is a delicious, nourishing meal.
- 12 chicken drumsticks (or Marylands)
- 2 tbsp butter, ghee or coconut oil
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp rice malt syrup or honey
- 2 red onion/s -peeled and diced
- 250 ml chicken stock or bone broth (1 cup)
- 2 clove/s garlic -peeled and sliced
- 2 stick/s celery -diced
- 2 carrot/s -sliced
- 2 potato/s (Dutch cream or Kipfler) peeled and roughly diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp fresh turmeric -grated (or ½ teaspoon dried)
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary leaves -chopped (or ½ teaspoon dried)
- pinch Chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 lemon/s (large) -sliced into about 8 wedges**
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper -to taste
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / 350°F (fan-forced)
- In a big bowl, toss the chicken with the sweetener, paprika and a pinch of sea salt to coat it.
- Place a large baking dish (I use a cast iron one) on your stove top and over a low to moderate heat, sauté the onion in a little butter to ghee (or olive oil for dairy-free) until just translucent.
- Push the onion to the side (away from the heat), turn up the heat and brown your chicken on all sides. Remove from the heat.
- Add the bone broth, garlic, celery, carrots, potatoes, cumin, turmeric, rosemary and optional chilli flakes.
- Gently mix it through the chicken and season again if needed.
- Arrange the lemon wedges, flesh side down between the pieces of chicken. **** If your lemon has a really thick pith / white part (more than 5mm) then don't add as the pith can impart a bitter flavour to the pan juices. Instead add a little lemon juice to the pan juices after cooking.
- Pop in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour.
Serve with all of the delicious pan juices…
- On a bed of greens (they will wilt under the casserole).
- With fresh parsley or peas. I love a green hit with any meal.
- On cauliflower rice, quinoa or rice (for gluten-free) or cous cous (if okay with gluten)
- Over mashed potato or sweet potato.
Extra fast, lazy version
- Just throw it all in the roasting pan and straight into the oven. You may need to pop it under the grill prior to serving to crisp up and brown the chicken.
- Re-heat (covered) in a low oven until just hot.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Can also be frozen.
Recipe and image courtesy of well nourished.com.au