Italian Casserole With Cannellini Beans
Dinner doesn’t get any easier than this tasty slow cooked Italian Casserole. With just 20 minutes of preparation, this is a meal that you’ll definitely keep coming back to.
- 1 kg beef chuck, blade, gravy or brisket 3cm diced
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 brown onions chopped
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup red wine
- 750 g fresh ripe tomatoes diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1½ cup fresh oregano
- 500 g swiss mushrooms sliced
- 1½ cup parsley chopped
- 800g tinned cannellini beans
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Heat 1½ tbsp oil in a heavy based pan, and brown beef evenly in 2-3 batches. Remove and place in a casserole dish.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the remaining oil. Sauté onion and garlic. Slowly add the flour and stir for 1 min.
- Add red wine and simmer until reduced by ½. Add tomatoes, bay leaves and oregano.
- Stir until combined and add to the casserole.
- Place in oven and cook for 2 hrs or until meat is tender. In the last 30 mins add mushrooms, parsley and beans. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Steamed green beans
- Crusty bread
- Top with shaved parmesan
Recipe and image courtesy of australianbeef.com.au