This recipe will go well with the following Gingin products: Free Range Whole Chicken
Healthy Roast Chicken Marinade
This is my take on a healthy 'takeaway' BBQ chicken – this marinade recipe is so simple and delicious you will never need to buy a pre-cooked, take away chicken again.
- 1 whole chicken preferably free-range or organic
- MARINADE INGREDIENTS for one large chicken
- 50 g butter or macadamia nut oil ¼ cup
- 1 tbsp rice malt syrup or honey
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp sea salt – or to taste
- Ground black pepper – to taste
- In a small bowl, mix the ingredients together until well combined.
- Baste your chicken all over with half of the mix.
- Place your chicken breast side up in a preheated oven or on a rotisserie if you have one.
- After 30 minutes of cooking, remove from the oven and baste again with the remaining marinade.
- Return to the oven and roast until the chicken is cooked to perfection.
- The time this takes will vary depending on the size of your chicken, but work off 30 minutes per 500gram at 180℃/350°F.
- Once cooked, rest the chicken for 5-10 minutes uncovered, then carve and enjoy!
Add lots of vegetables and also slices of lemon to your roasting dish too. You may also like to stuff your chook? I personally keep it quick and simple and wedge lemon pieces and any herbs I can rummage from my herb garden. A great option if you like to slow cook… for 8 hours on low, basting it with the marinade every 2-3 hours with great success.
Recipe and image courtesy of wellnourished.com.au